Pastel de Pollo (Chicken pastel)
by Myrna Seguismundo
1/2 cup butter
1/2 pc white onion, minced
1 kilo chicken, cut into stewing pieces
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup Spanish sausage or chorizo sliced into 1/4-inch rings
1 can (145 gms) Vienna sausage or 1/2 cup hot dog, sliced into 1/4-inch rings
enough water or chicken stock/ broth to cover meat
1 pc potato, peeled and cubed
1 pc carrot, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup button mushrooms, drained
1/2 cup green olives, drained
salt and pepper, to taste
3-4 sheets fillo pastry brushed with melted butter
1) Preheat oven to 400°F.
2) In a preheated pot with butter, sauté onion over medium heat.
3) Add the chicken and brown all pieces. Add the wine and allow to simmer a minute or two. Remove pot from fire.
4) Dust chicken pieces with the flour, making sure to coat all pieces. Toss the mixture well.
5) Add both the sausages and the water or stock. Cook the mixture again and allow to simmer before adding the potato, carrot, mushrooms and olives.
6) Continue simmering until the vegetables are cooked and the liquid has slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
7) Pour mixture into a pyrex dish and cover with pie pastry. Brush top with butter. Make slits on the top crust to help let the steam escape when baking.
8) Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.