by Jill Sandique
Yield: 6 to 8 servings Preparation Time: 10 to 15 minutes Cooking Time: 30 to 40 minutes
I whole chicken, about 1¼ to 1½ kilograms
1 teaspoon Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup butter
2 cups chopped onion
3 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon browning agent or caramel color, as needed
1 tablespoon sugar, or more
4 to 6 tablespoons Bourbon whiskey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
½ cup chopped scallions
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch
2 tablespoons water, to dissolve the starch
salt, to taste
6 to 8 cups cooked rice
1. Cut chicken into serving pieces. Wash with cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Put chicken in a bowl. Add Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Transfer marinated chicken to a baking tray and roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until done.
3. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauté pan. Cook the onion for 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock, browning agent or caramel color, and sugar. Bring to a boil then add the Bourbon whiskey, lemon juice and lemon zest.
4. Simmer until sauce is slightly thickened. Add half of scallions and parsley.
5. Dissolve arrowroot powder or cornstarch in water. Add to sauce. Boil for 1 minute then remove from heat.
6. Put rice in a serving bowl. Top with roast chicken. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with the remaining scallions and parsley. Serve hot.