CHOCOLATE-CREAM CHEESE SWIRLED CAKE
by Heny Sison
For the filling
8 oz. Magnolia Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
8 oz. semisweet chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan. Set aside.
2. Prepare the filling now. In a bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar and liquid vanilla, and beat in a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
3. Add egg. Continue beating until smooth and well combined.
4. Fold in chocolate. Set aside.
For the cake
1 kg. San Miguel Mills Brownie Mix
4 large eggs
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup Magnolia Gold Butter, softened
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1. Place all ingredients for the cake in the bowl of a mixer. Mix for 1 minute at low speed.
2. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl. Continue mixing until well blended.
3. Stir in nuts.
4. Spoon half of the chocolate mixture into the prepared pan.
5. Spoon the cheese filling carefully on top of the chocolate mixture.
6. Pour remaining half of the chocolate mixture over cheese filling, and, using a spoon, carefully swirl the mixture to achieve a marbled effect.
7. Bake for 1 hour or until done.
8. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
9. Invert on a serving platter. Top with caramel.
For the caramel
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. calamansi juice
1 cup whipping cream, at room temperature
pinch of salt
1. To make the caramel, put sugar in saucepan. Moisten with calamansi juice. Cook, making sure you do not stir the sugar, until the sugar is caramelized. Then use wooden spoon, not metal spoon, to stir.
2. Add the whipping cream. Allow to boil, then add salt. Cook until desired consistency is achieved.
3. Remove from heat and let cool in ice bath (*bowl over bigger bowl filled with ice water).