LENTIL SOUP WITH PORK CRACKLINGS
BY Jill Sandique
1/2 cup bacon, chopped
2 tablespoons canola or olive oil, optional
2 tablespoons minced garlic
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped tomato
100 grams pork, cubed
100 grams shrimp, peeled and chopped
pork, chicken or shrimp stock (water may do) as needed
1 pack U. S. lentils, about 400 grams
2 to 4 cups spinach, washed and trimmed
salt and pepper to taste
red wine vinegar
1. In a pot, cook bacon until slightly golden. Add oil if necessary.
2. Add the garlic, onion and tomato. Saute well. Add pork then shrimps.
3. Pour in stock or water. Bring in to boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the lentils. Cook until done. Add the spinach and cook just until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a service.
5. Serve hot with pork cracklings, olive and red wine vinegar.