by Jackie Ang-Po
700g-1kg deboned pork shoulder (skin off but not the fat)
4tsp pink salt/sodium nitrate
1) In a large bowl, stir all ingredients until dissolved.
2) Put the pork in the mixture completely submerged, lay a heavy object on top of the meat completely submerging it.
3) Cover with cling wrap; marinade for 24hrs in the fridge
4) Rinse before baking
1cup brown sugar
1can crushed pineapple(undrained)
2tbsp lemon juice
1tbsp prepared mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1) Pre-heat oven to 325 F.
2) Tie meat with twine neatly
3) Bake meat covered with foil for 1hr. Meat is cooked when a meat thermometer pierced in the thickest part of the meat and kept there for 15 seconds indicates 160 F. or Another method for testing doneness is to pierce the ham with a meat fork or the tip of a knife. The meat should show little resistance by easily sliding in and out of the ham if it is done properly.
4) At this point the ham is cooked and ready for glazing to be served or cooled and packed for a giveaway. If not ready to serve make sure to keep in the fridge and not the freezer.
Prep before serving:
1) Preheat oven to 325F.
2) in a small sauce pan,add sugar, pineapple with syrup,lemon juice,mustard. simmer till sauce is thick and season with salt and pepper.
3) Cover pre-cooked ham with glaze. Place in oven and glaze every 10 minutes. Cook to 140 F. plate and carve.