by Jackie Ang-Po
1 kg thick rice noodles or luglog water for soaking noodels
500 grams shrimps
2 cups water
½ cup atsuette/annatto oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup all purpose flour
8 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp. patis (fish sauce)
salt to taste pepper to taste
4 pcs hard cooked eggs
1 cup squid rings (saute’d in garlic)
400 grams pork strips (saute’d in garlic)
200 grams chicharon
a bunch spring onions
½ cup toasted garlic
1) Soak the noodles in water for 4 hours.
2) Cook the shrimp in 2 cups of boiling water with a little salt. Take shrimps out as soon as they turn pink.
3) Peel and devein the shrimps and set aside in the chiller for use later as topping. Make sure to put the heads and shells back in the broth and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
4) Cool the broth (with the shells) and pour into a blender. Blend and strain. This will be your shrimp stock.
5) In a saucepan, sauté the garlic in the annatto oil for 1 minute, add the flour mixing continuously until you get a smooth paste let cook for a minute. Then add the shrimp and chicken stocks gradually stirring continuously. Wait for it to boil and lower heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
6) Season with patis and pepper to taste.
7) In a big pot of boiling water boil the noodles for 2 to 3 minutes and drain.
8) Spread the cooked noodles in a nice platter and pour the sauce over it and then arrange the shrimp and toppings on the sauce.