Fried Crispy Squid Rings (Calamares Fritos)
by Ernest Reynoso Gala
1. 1/2 kilo small or medium-sized squids. Remove head for another use. Peel off skin, slice into 1/4-inch thick slices. Wash and drain well.
2. Put squid rings in a bowl and season each ring with
1/2 tsp. of fine salt and pepper
1 tbsp. calamansi or lemon juice. Add
1/4 cup fresh milk.
3. Dredge/coat each squid ring well in
2 cups all-purpose flour mixed with 1 tsp. Spanish paprika.
4. Fry immediately in 4 cups of very hot oil until they float. Squid tends to spatter if not coated well; prepare a cover for yourself. Retrieve fried squid rings with slotted strainer. Drain on paper napkins.
5. Serve with lemon wedges.
Fried Crispy Squid Rings (Thick Batter Version)
1. Follow steps 1 to 3 for squid rings (calamares fritos). Then dip in a mixture of
1 cup each of all-purpose flour and ice cold water
1 tsp. baking powder
2 egg whites
Mix them together with a wire whisk.
2. Deep fry, then drain on paper towels.
3. For the sauce mix in a bowl:
1 cup mayonnaise or yogurt
2 tsp. crushed garlic
pinch of salt and pepper