Chili crab sushi
By Ernest Reynoso Gala/Chef Chi Pin Han of InterContinental Hotel Singapore
1 whole crab
1 bundle Chinese parsley
10 pcs. crab claws
50g kani miso (crab paste)
100g crab roe
1 bundle mizuna (Japanese vegetable)
2 sheets nori sheet (Japanese seaweed)
300g steamed rice
1 pc. long onion
half loaf French loaf
Chili sauce mixture
50g red chili
15g red chili padi
5g dried red chili
15g dried prawns
15g garlic (peeled)
15g shallot (peeled)
Procedure for sauce:
Blend the above items to a paste, and then add the following items to make the chili sauce mixture.
50g tomato sauce
400g chicken stock
1/2 tbsp. chicken powder
1 tsp. fine salt
1 tsp. sugar
1) Steam the crab and remove the crabmeat from its shell.
2) Mix the crabmeat, crab miso and crab roe together.
3) Spread the steamed rice over the nori sheet (Japanese seaweed) and roll with the crabmeat, crab roe and crab miso mixture with mizuna vegetable.
4) Roll it like a sushi reverse roll and cut the roll into small pieces.
5) Heat the wok and stir-fry the chili sauce mixture. Add in remaining crab roe and crab claws into the gravy, then add in the eggs.
5) Separate the gravy from the crab claws and put the gravy onto a plate. Place the cut sushi rolls on the plate and arrange the crab claws nicely around the sushi roll.
6) Garnish with slices of French loaf and top with Chinese parsley and shredded long onions.