Spaghetti or Fettuccini Carbonara (Philippine-Style)
by Ernest Reynoso Gala
450 grams spaghetti or fettuccini pasta (cook in 1 gallon boiling water with 1 tbsp. rock salt, uncovered, according to package directions, then drain)
250 grams bacon (cook until crispy), leaving bacon oil in pan
1/3 cup butter
1 beef or chicken cube
6 pieces Chinese or Japanese Shitake mushrooms (soak in water 15 minutes, drain, then slice into strips)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups water
1 cup all-purpose cream
1 tsp. each fine salt and pepper
200 grams of Magnolia Quickmelt Cheese (grated).
2) Add butter to the pan with the bacon oil, chicken or beef cube, then mushrooms. Stir 2 minutes.
3) Add flour. Mix with wire whisk. Pour in water, all-purpose cream, salt, pepper. Mix with wire whisk until creamy. Turn off fire and toss in pasta and half the cheese and bacon. Pour on platter. Top with bacon and remaining cheese.
4) Note: 1 cup canned button mushrooms or asparagus or mixed vegetables may be used in placed of shitake mushrooms.
Spaghetti Carbonara (Easy Philippine-Style)
225 grams spaghetti (cook in salted boiling water according to package directions; drain.)
1/2 cup butter
290 grams cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups fresh milk
1/2 tsp. each of salt and pepper
1/2 cup Magnolia Cheezee Sauce.
2) For topping: 1 cup sliced sweet ham cut into 1-inch cubes or 1/2 cup cooked bacon.
3) Put in a deep 12-inch sauté (frying) pan the butter, mushroom soup, milk, salt, pepper, Cheezee Sauce. Stir over medium heat with a wire whisk until simmering. Toss in Pasta. Pour on platter. Top with ham. Serves 2 to 3.