Heart’s Day Cake
by Dorothy MJ Ferreria prep 10 mins cook 20 mins yield 8-10
- 3/4 cup (+2 Tbsps) Sifted cake flour
- 1/3 cup White sugar for egg yolks
- 3/4 tsp Sifted baking soda
- 1/4 cup Corn oil
- 4 Eggs graded large , separated
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Fine salt
- 1 1/2 tsps Instant coffee
- 1/4 cup Sifted Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup White sugar for egg whites
- ingredients for the frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups Pastry topping
- ingredients for the decor:
- 120 g Dark chocolate curls
- 120 g Fresh strawberries
- 1 Tbsp Natural cocoa powder for dusting
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line the bottoms of two 8-inch round baking pans, 1 1/2 inches high, with baking parchment. Set aside.
Combine cake flour, sugar, baking soda, corn oil, egg yolks, vanilla, water, salt, coffee powder and cocoa in a large bowl. Mix using a wire whisk until blended. Set aside.
Using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar together until frothy. Add sugar gradually while beating egg whites at medium speed. After adding all the sugar, increase speed of mixer and continue beating until stiff but not dry.
Carefully but quickly fold in beaten egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Divide cake batter equally between the two prepared baking pans. Bake for 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in a cake rack in an upside down position.
To prepare frosting, pour pastry topping into the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat at medium speed until it somewhat doubles in volume. Use as a filling and as a frosting.
Decorate cake with chocolate curls and strawberries. Lightly dust with cocoa powder for a dressed up look.