by Heny Sison
1 cup cake flour + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
4 pieces eggyolks
1/4 cup Nestle fresh milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 pieces eggwhites
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cashew nuts
2 tablespoon granulated sugar (for sprinkling on top of the meringue before baking)
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
pinch of salt
11/2 cup Nestle fresh milk
2 pieces eggyolks, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered Sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350o F
2. Grease with shortening and line with greaseproof paper bottom and sides of 2-8-inch round pans. Set aside.
3. Sift flours, baking powder and salt 3 times. Set aside
4. At medium speed of the mixer, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Add eggyolks one at a time beating well after each addition.
6. At low speed, add vanilla extract then the milk alternately with the sifted dry ingredients.Divide the batter into the prepared 2 pans. Spread evenly using an offset spatula. Set aside.
7. In a separate bowl, beat eggwhtes and 3/4 cup sugar until stiff but not dry. Divide this over the 2 pans and lightly spread over the cake batter. Sprinkle with cashew nuts and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown in color. Cool in pans for 10 minutes then turn out on rack and cool, meringue side up.
8. Prepare the cream filling : Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in a double boiler. Stir in the milk and cook the mixture until thick. Add a little of the mixture into the slighly beaten eggyolks. Stir well then add back to the pan. Cook until thick and creamy. remove from heat.
Add vanilla extract.
Put one layer on a platter with the remaining meringue side down. Spread with filling. Top with second layer with the meringue side up. Sprinkle with Powdered Sugar on top.