FRESH FRUIT TART
by Heny Sison
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 pc large egg, slightly beaten
assorted fresh fruits for topping
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Butter a 10-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Set aside.
3. Put the confectioners’ sugar, all purpose flour and baking powder in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine.
4. Add the cubed butter. Pulse until the butter becomes the size of peas.
5. Add the eggs through the feed tube while the motor is running. Process until the dough holds together.
6. Wrap in plastic cling wrap and chill for 30 minutes or until ready to use.
7. Pat the dough into a disk and lightly flour each side. Roll the dough into a 12-inch circle about 1/4 inch thick. After each roll with the rolling pin, rotate the dough a quarter turn. Work quickly to prevent the butter from melting.
8. Transfer the dought to the tart pan by rolling it around the rolling pin. Hold the rolling pin over the pan and unroll the dough into the pan. Gently press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pan. Remove the excess dough by rolling the rolling pin on top of the pan.
9. Using a fork, dock the sides and bottom of the tart shell. Chill for 15 minutes.
10. Blind-bake at 400 F for 15 minutes. Remove the pie weight. Lower the oven temperature to 350 F and return the partially baked tart crust to the oven. Continue baking for another 25 minutes or until golden in color. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
11. Spread the pastry cream on the baked and cooled crust. Top with fresh fruits.
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp butter
1 cup whole milk
3 pcs eggyolks, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
Mix the flour, sugar and butter in a medium saucepan. Add the milk, slightly beaten eggyolks and vanilla. Mix using a wire wisk and cook until creamy. Remove from the heat and cool.