Frozen Fruit Salad
by Dorothy Ferreria
A different version of the classic fruit salad, surrounded with sugar glazed fresh fruits. This dish doubles as a table centerpiece
454 gram-can dark sweet pitted cherries in extra heavy syrup
567 gram-can crushed pineapple
1 tbsp unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup water
300 ml-can condensed milk
250 ml pack all-purpose cream
1 cup cubed canned peaches or fresh ripe mango
1 cup diced apples (unpeeled)
2 cups sliced bananas
1. Drain the cherries in a colander. After about 30 minutes, blot the cherries with paper towels to remove excess syrup.
2. Drain the crushed pineapple in a colander. After about 30 minutes, press with a spoon to remove excess moisture.
3. Line a loaf pan (12” X 4 1/2”) with food grade plastic food film. Set aside.
4. In a saucepan, combine gelatin and water. Allow the gelatin to bloom or swell for 5 minutes and then cook over low heat until gelatin dissolves completely. Set aside.
5. Using an electric mixer, beat condensed milk and cream until blended. Pour in the gelatin solution. Set aside.
6. Add the rest of the ingredients to the cream mixture. Mix well and transfer to the prepared loaf pan. Freeze until firm.
7. To serve, remove the salad from the loaf pan. Peel off the plastic wrap and transfer to a serving platter. Thaw a bit before slicing.